Needham Historical Society


The Needham Cricket Club, 1904.
The knitters from the English Midlands brought with them their passion for cricket, and at the turn of the century Needham Heights was “the cricket capitol of Massachusetts”. There were several local teams, some playing at the championship level. Cricket Field, donated by the Carter family (avid cricket players) commemorates the former importance of this sport. The picture shows the members of the Needham Cricket Club in the 1904-05 season. From left to right, they are: (front row) Ike Chambers, Sam Wallace, J. J .Gibbs, Harold Warren, Tom Walton; (back row) Jim Ackroyd, H. L. Holder, Charles Stanwood, Tom Farrand, Frank Gorse (captain), J. B. Thorpe (umpire), and William H. Carter.

Previous




Copyright 2003, Needham Historical Society