Needham Historical Society
Back to Home
Back to Progressive Spirit
The First Parish Church, Unitarian
The Unitarian parish was the first organized parish in Needham, formed as a result of the separation from Dedham in 1711. The church was originally located in the old town center, at the corner of Nehoiden Street and Central Avenue. The current structure, which dates to 1836, was lifted and moved to the corner of Great Plain and Dedham Avenues in 1878 after the advent of the railroad caused the town center to shift to its present location. The wooden cap at the top of the steeple was replaced with the copper-sheathed dome sometime around 1930.
Back to Churches Page
Copyright 2003, Needham Historical Society