Needham Historical Society


The Greenwood Oak, Nehoiden Street, c. 1900
This huge oak tree, estimated to be over 300 years old, once stood on the front lawn of the home C. C. Greenwood. Greenwood held a number of town offices, including Selectman, Assessor and Town Clerk; he also served in the State legislature. The scene looks south along Nehoiden Street. The fences across the street define open fields, and beyond them, Blacksmith's Pond (since filled in). Just visible at the curve of the road are the slate gravestones in the Needham Cemetery. The tree, a famous town landmark, survived until 1908. The Historical Society has a gavel made from its wood.

Previous




Copyright 2003, Needham Historical Society